Jason Collins has been a beautiful activist and badass all along…
"In his historic coming-out essay Monday, NBA veteran Jason Collins revealed to Sports Illustrated that he wore the number 98 in 38 games this season while playing for the Boston Celtics and Washington Wizards as an unspoken “sign of solidarity” with the gay community.
He said he did so as a nod to the Trevor Project, an LGBTQ suicide prevention foundation founded in August 1998, and also in memory of Matthew Shepard, a 21-year-old University of Wyoming student who was killed in October 1998 in one of the most infamous antigay hate crimes in history.
Shepard’s parents, Dennis and Judy, had never spoken to or met Collins before receiving an email from David Smith of the Human Rights Campaign with a link to the SI piece Monday morning, but it doesn’t make Collins’ expression of unity any less meaningful.
“It made me cry,” Judy Shepard told FOXSports.com during an interview Monday afternoon. “It was really quite a tribute, and I was very honored. And I know Matt would be thrilled.”
- charlotteynne reblogged this from phoenixandthecarpet
- andrewhutchinson likes this
- ofa42 likes this
- lethargickatharsis likes this
- wequeenswemothers likes this
- feedthecrows reblogged this from hoomanao
- feedthecrows likes this
- charlotteynne likes this
- idiot-pilot likes this
- kalieryan reblogged this from phoenixandthecarpet
- rizkifahrurrazi reblogged this from maya-contreras-ddd
- queerdelight reblogged this from phoenixandthecarpet
- iferuniversity likes this
- phoenixandthecarpet reblogged this from worldofone
- hoomanao reblogged this from maya-contreras-ddd
- hoomanao likes this
- worldofone reblogged this from maya-contreras-ddd
- basedat reblogged this from maya-contreras-ddd
- maya-contreras-ddd posted this